Anthony Joshua’s next fight has now been confirmed following his stunning redemption against Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia late last year.
Six months on from his shock defeat to the Mexican in New York, Joshua produced a boxing masterclass in Diriyah to reclaim the WBA, IBF & WBO titles.
AJ controlled the bout from start to finish and landed a number of eye-catching blows in a near punch-perfect performance.
LATEST BOXING NEWS
He said: “Sometimes simplicity is genius, that was the motto. Keep it simple as it will lead to a genius performance.
“It was outclassing a champion and proving to myself every time I step in the ring, if I prepare myself, I don’t think anyone is going to beat me.”
The win has saved Joshua’s career at the top of his sport, taking his record to 23 and one from his 24 pro fights to date.
Now AJ has confirmed his next fight as 2020 looks set to be a huge year for the champ.
Tyson Fury’s incredible victory over Deontay Wilder has made the elite division even more exciting and there are mounting calls for him to take on Joshua in the near future.
That fight could happen later this year but Joshua will be in action before then.
Anthony Joshua next fight: When is he returning and who is he facing?
Anthony Joshua will face IBF mandatory Kubrat Pulev next.
Following AJ’s win against Ruiz Jr, the Brit was immediately confronted with two mandatory challengers.
Ukrainian southpaw Oleksandr Usyk was suggested but 38-year-old Bulgarian Pulev has now been confirmed as his next opponent.
The two will face off at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday, June 20.
“I am happy to have the opportunity to show the world how strong I really am,” said Pulev.
Joshua vs Pulev has been confirmed for this summer following news that Wilder has taken up his option of a third clash with Fury.
Fury produced an incredible performance to destroy Wilder in Las Vegas and become a world champion again.
Now the two will face off for a third time this summer.
It means, providing both win, Joshua and Fury could meet around Christmas.
Promoter Eddie Hearn has told talkSPORT that Joshua is determined to have a heavyweight unification showdown with Fury in the near future.
Speaking in the aftermath of Fury’s win, the Matchroom supremo said: “We have to make this fight happen.
“We will never, ever get the chance for two Brits to fight for an undisputed heavyweight world championship.
“I promise you we will do everything we can to make this fight. It has to happen.
“AJ has been through everything already and he wants to be undisputed and this is the chance for our sport to have one of those legacy moments that we will never get the opportunity to have again.”
Meanwhile, Fury’s promoter Frank Warren has confirmed he WILL pit his superstar against Joshua soon.
Warren said in February: “That’s a great fight to put together and we will put it together.”
Will coronavirus cancel Anthony Joshua’s next fight?
As things stand, Joshua vs Pulev is scheduled to go ahead as planned on June 20 at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, despite the coronavirus pandemic.
Promoter Eddie Hearn has said he is led by the government on these matters and so will only consider changing plans if they ban large public events.
If this did happen, Hearn indicated they would likely postpone and look to rearrange the fight, as it needs the money generated from ticket sales in order to succeed financially.